Human Rights Report Card
Students will prepare a human rights “report card” for an assigned nation-state. Each report card will assess a nation-state’s success in establishing and protecting the rights guaranteed by the UDHR. The report card should discuss the major human rights issues in the assigned nation and whether the trends are positive or negative. Findings will be summarized in a 5-10 minute Power Point Presentation and a 1-2 page handout.
Presentation (Ten minutes)
- Introduction: A map that illustrates and essential info.
- Human Rights Issues: Summarize the major issues or areas of concern and discuss who is
- affected, how widespread is the problem and who is responsible.
- Trends: Freedom House and Transparency International ratings and any news that track
- the conditions in the country.
- Conclusion: Discuss whether the country’s human rights record is improving or will
- improve based on recent trends. This is a prediction / opinion based on research.
- Visual Aids: Photos, charts or graphs that help illustrate your points.
Written Summary (One-two pages)
- Summarize the major human rights issues in the assigned nation.
- Conclude with the assessment of whether the overall trend in the conditions of human
- rights is positive, negative, or more of the same, and briefly explain the reasons for the
- The handout should be typed with clear headings for easy reading.